Home Up ABOUT GSP'S MALE GSP'S FEMALE GSP'S PUPPIES & INFO TRAINING DOG GROOMING OLDER DOGS FOR SALE GWP MY HORSES TESTIMONIALS RESULTS ***NEWS*** 10 COMMANDMENTS LINKS THE NEW KENNELS RAINBOW BRIDGEHIP DYSPLASIA

 

THIS PAGE IS HERE TO EXPLAIN MORE ABOUT HIP DYSPLASIA AND HOW TO TRY AND PREVENT IT

 

Hip scoring in the UK is done under the BVA/KC (BVA stands for British Veterinary association) scheme it involves taking a x-ray of the dogs hips once the dog is aged over 12 months or over.  The BVA will not accept x-rays for a dog until they are AT LEAST 12 months. This process assesses if your dog has good hips - the lower the score the better or if he/she is dysplastic and may need hip replacements which can cost thousands of pounds and your dog will/can be in a terrific amount of pain. See x-rays below

A panel of specialist vets study the x-rays then score the areas of the hip and socket, a overall score is then given.

there are 9 areas-

Norberg angle - max score 6 EACH HIP (12 IN TOTAL. WHICH IS THE SAME FOR  ALL THE OTHER AREA'S)

IE 6:6 = 12 OR 0:0 = 0 The second being the better score!!

Subluxtion - max score 6 EACH HIP

Cranial acetablular edge -max score 6 EACH HIP

Dorsal acetabular edge - max score 6 EACH HIP

Cranial effective acetabuler rim- max score 6 EACH HIP

Acetabular fossa -max score 6 EACH HIP

Caudal acetebular edge- max score 5 EACH HIP

femoral head/neck exostosis-max score 6 EACH HIP

Femoral head recontouring- max score 6 EACH HIP

 

The best possible score a dog can get is 0/0 total 0 and the worst is 53/53 total 106.

Most breeds have what is know as mean score all dogs used for breeding should be below this score in the GSP's the score is 11. HD IS MOST PROMINENT IN GERMAN SHEPHERDS AND LABRADORS, but is becoming a big problem within this breed also.

several factors can influence the hip score a dog achieves these can include -

1. Age

2. Exercise

3. Diet

4. Hereditary (hip joint shape)

5. Hormones (seasons)

Only 25% of hip dysplasia is hereditary, the other 75% is down to how you look after your puppy.

I.E.  Quality of food - keep puppies on puppy food for AT LEAST 12 months, then go onto a quality junior food as they are still growing. 

Exercise - this is why we do not let puppies go up and down the stairs or to be allowed to jump in and out of cars - we lift them in and out until they are too heavy for me to lift.

 

I CAN NOT STRESS ENOUGH - ONLY BUY PUPPIES FROM HIP SCORED PARENTS.

HIP DYSPLASIA IS A PROBLEM WITHIN SOME LINES OF THIS BREED - THOSE BREEDERS WHO SAY THERE IS NOT A PROBLEM ARE BREEDERS WHO BREED WITHOUT TESTING - IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

BELOW (LEFT PHOTO) IS AN X-RAY TAKEN FROM ONE OF OUR GIRLS WHO HAS A HIP SCORE OF 0:0, WHICH SHOWS HIPS THAT ARE PERFECT  AND ON THE RIGHT IS AN X-RAY FROM A DOG WITH HIP DYSPLASIA. THERE IS NO SOCKET TO HOLD THE MIS-SHAPED BALL OF THE HIP, THANKFULLY NOT ONE OF OURS, BUT THIS COULD LOOK LIKE ANYONE'S DOG THAT HASN'T COME FROM HIP SCORED PARENTS.  THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO DOGS BELOW IS THAT THE ONE ON THE LEFT WILL LIVE A HAPPY HEALTHY PAIN FREE LIFE. THE ONE ON THE RIGHT WILL HAVE THREE CHOICES, THE FIRST IS TO BE PUT TO SLEEP, THE SECOND IS TO HAVE A HIP REPLACEMENT WHICH WILL COST IN THE REGION OF 10,000 OR THIRDLY TO BE ON PAIN KILLERS UNTIL THE DOG CAN NO LONGER WALK AND IS PARALYSED AT A VERY EARLY AGE.  BY BUYING PUPPIES FROM NON HIP SCORED PARENTS YOU ARE ENCOURAGING THOSE TO BREED WITHOUT HIP SCORING AND THEREFORE RUINING THIS WONDERFUL BREED 

 

THE BVA/KC HIP DYSPLASIA SCHEME

http://www.bva.co.uk/public/chs/hip_scheme.asp

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/health_issues/health_issues_content.asp?ID=103

THE BVA/KC/ISDS EYE SCHEME

http://www.bva.co.uk/public/chs/eye_scheme.asp

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/health_issues/health_issues_content.asp?ID=102

THE BVA/KC ELBOW DYSPLASIA SCHEME

http://www.bva.co.uk/public/chs/elbow_scheme.asp

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/health_issues/health_issues_content.asp?ID=101